Thursday, September 28, 2006

Weaknesses galore!

Tomorrow, it will be exactly a month since my arrival in Philly, and I can't help marvelling at the two mutually contradictory feelings I'm experiencing. While it's hard to believe on one hand, that just a month has passed, considering how much water seems to have flowed under the bridge, there is a certain amount of dissatisfaction at the time it's taking me to settle into a routine.

The workload is considerable, which isn't really a talking point, because all folks I know in their first semesters have said the same. Then I am really suffering because of my bad sleeping habits, which means that I sleep around 6 hours a night, in general from 3:30 am to 9:30 am. To boot, I still haven't got internet at home, which makes a fellow like me stay till late in the Engineering building, accumulating tiring hours on a chair, when I can be far more comfortable on my bed at home. Then, there is the small issue of food. Eating out is interesting in the sense that you get to try out lots of new dishes and cuisines, but somehow, unless you pay a visit to the Indian restaurants in the vicinity, which offer sizeable meals in the form of buffets (albeit at somewhat high prices), you never get the feeling that you stuffed yourself till you could eat no more! Then we have the devil of free calling within the US after 9 PM. This implies that I am spending approximately 1.5 hours (eeek!!!) a night talking to friends, especially at the time when I think I am at my productive best (granted that it's not as if I move mountains when I'm productive, but still...), and there is usually so much to talk about that if you happen to get started, it's tough to look at your watch and say: Hoi! I have to get back to work!!!

But this post isn't for the purpose for whining about my troubles. The damnable thing about the situation is that I don't feel bad, in general, but I surely feel the pinch, when I am running out of time, trying to get an assignment in, on time, or when I have to skip a class, because I feel like I simply have to sleep, or when I wake up and have to walk to campus with no breakfast in my tummy because I missed the last shuttle.

Ah well! Not many options exist. So I might as well stop griping, and get on with the job. However, I would really appreciate it, if somebody could make me believe that a month is really too small a length of time for hardened procrastinators like me to be able to mend their ways!

Hope to have more cheerful things to tell you about, next time!