Tuesday, August 08, 2006

In the memory of a memory lost...

I'd have to say that I haven't seen a film that has affected me as much as Chris Nolan's 'Memento'. The plot is basically simple: a man with just a short-term memory is out searching for his wife's killers. He can't remember things that happened to him after the kilelrs broke into his house, beat him up, and raped and killed his wife. But he does remember everything before that happened, and it anchors his existence to the extent that he knows his name, his hometown, his previous occupation as an insurance claims scrutinizer, and all of the things that remind him of his wife, and haunt him to such an extent that he has sworn not to rest until he avenges her death.

Simple enough. But the masterful direction, editing and screenplay, bolstered by impressive performances by the not-so-famous cast combine to create a mentally stimulating and challenging movie. Anyway, I'm not going to review the film or sing its praises. All I say is: Just go and watch it, if you haven't. You're missing something.


The reason I was impressed by the film was the concept that springs forth from Guy Pearce's memory condition, that of a man with no memory. There are two ways to look at it. One, the more pragamatic view, says that such a person would be irretrievably lost in the world, with no markers to guide him. He cannot learn from experience, he cannot trust people, he can't make friends, he can't achieve things because he can't build on what he knows (or does he know anything??) From that point of view, it's a hopeless construct.

The other perspective is from a more impassioned stance. What if you had memories you didn't want? How would you escape them? It would be quite convenient to wipe the slate clean, wouldn't it? But then you would lose all other memories as well. The ones you want to hold on to, all your life. The ones which can brighten up a difficult day or a tough spell. How about the concept of selective elimination of memory? It's practised by some of the most strong-willed people I know. They tell me that the best way to overcome the pull of bad times is simply not to think about them. You ought to learn from your mistakes, of course, otherwise you end up being in the same situation again, and that puts you back on square one. But if you've absorbed the lesson, and are determined to forget the details...well, it is possible.

As for myself, I find that I have a rather weak hold on my remembrances, in the sense that I can't tell myself that "You have to remember this! This is going to be one of the moments of your life!!". In fact, it's the strangely insignificant, little details that stick around for years, rather than the momentous occasions. Often, I find myself groping in the haze for some recollections of what I can assuredly call 'The Times of My Life', but whose particulars are so sketchy that I can scarcely believe it all happened to me. I wonder if I'm making any sense...but that's why 'Memento' affected me so much.

Here is a man who remembers nothing except one fact, one aim which acts like a beacon in his life, illuminating the path for his daily existence. Forgetting is probably an alien concept because its other half, remembering doesnt exist either...just like streaming data. Such a man is perfect for a lifetime of devotion to a cause, with nothing to sway him. Of course, the things he misses out on, are far too many to be listed. And justified too.

But it's an interesting premise.

And before I forget, the dialogues in the film are excellent. Do give them a second look, especially the last scene, in which Pearce delivers a haunting monologue, which I reproduce here:
"I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there.

Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

We all need mirrors to remind ourselves who we are. I'm no different."

Will be back soon!